Thanks to the “Self Protection in the Mountain”(Autoproteccion en la Montaña) campaign- which exists in Spain through the efforts of the Generalitat of Catalunya Organization, in conjunction with the support of several other institutions- we have at our fingertips, a series of tips and practical advice that are quite useful when we’re preparing to spend some time fulfilling a bit of adventure in mountain climbing and trekking. Let’s take a look at the tips below:
Before heading out
• Make sure to inform yourself of what the temperature and weather will be like and any possible changes that could occur. If the weather predictions don’t sound too good, then it’s probably better to stay at home and reschedule for a nicer day.
• Plan your activities and their duration, in advance. Check out any guides, area maps, and if you don’t have any of those, then seek the expert advice of a professional.
• Always go while accompanied, or at any rate, let others know your whereabouts and itinerary.
• Mountain climbing requires preparation. Train for it, stay informed and keep updating yourself on techniques and trends.
• Use adequate and appropriate material, tools and equipment for the activity/ties planned.
• In case of an emergency, always carry the necessary contact information for emergency contacts and relief information.
• When you’re part of a group of people, always maintain contact with the others in your group.
• Pick out some points of reference, so that if need be, you can always guide yourself by them.
• Hydrate yourself often and eat foods that’ll help you maintain a good energy level.
• In case of cold weather, KEEP MOVING!, keep your body in motion and do not stop.
Last but not least, if you need to report an accident or need to get help, make sure to have the following information readily available:
• The number of people that are hurt and/or requiring assistance, and their ages.
• Place of the accident.
• The details of the accident (injured? Unconscious? Is anyone bleeding? Breathing?)
• The weather condition at the site of the accident.